Final Short Film – Dreamy Paranoia

Advertisements

My Creative Input

I have found creating this short film, I have really got involved in every part of the process that I can. I found at the beginning very difficult to start coming up with ideas for what genre of type of film we could do. Also it was quite difficult as we all talked over each other and tried to all put our input in. Once we met up during reading week to brainstorm story ideas and define roles this really helped me to know what I should be doing and jumped in with both feet. I am naturally quite organised always doing lists and reminding people of what to do by when, and organising my own time efficiently. Continue reading

First draft

This was our first draft, this was an initial draft to see what should be change, the middle insert will be the final file once it has been nested into a new sequence with the correct screen sizeĀ  for HD 720p. We have decided to change the scary scene music and move the title in.

Further Sound Research

After finally finishing all the editing, I decided to help Christina in researching some sound tracks that she might possibly use to piece together to help the viewer experience the emotion. This is a vital part of the film as it often makes or breaks the film, especially a silent film like this one. I have ensured all these tracks are licensed under the creative commons licence and are downloadable. I have found a mixture of action, scary, chilling, happy and peaceful pieces to add diversity and so we can mould them to the individual scenes and emotions in the script/visual.

Completion of editing

I spent yesterday from 8.30am until approx 6.30pm editing, Siobhan helped alot from 9am to approx 3pm with deciding with clips to use and when to cut them so it all flows well. I found it a very steep learning curve as I had never used Adobe Premiere Pro before, but found after an hour or so I knew exactly what I was doing. The part I found the trickiest was trying to add effects to give the correct effects especially when I was correcting colour and lighting to try to make sure it all looks consistent. We finished editing this morning by adding transitions, production logo, title and credits. Siobhan did all the title and credits. Below is a couple of screenshots of the editing.

Editing Effects

As I’m also joint editor with Siobhan, I have decided to do some more research into the different effects we may need to use during editing.

I have considered that some of our footage had an orange tint due to the orange lights from the lighting kit so we could use Fast Colour Corrector as described on this website http://www.videomaker.com/article/14208/

For the dream scene we could also use the Edge Feather Effect to clear a vignette around the picture. However for this to seem like a dream we may need to use a tint.

 

Finish of filming

We started filming on Monday and continued on Thursday. The filming was so time consuming, setting up lighting, camera positions ensuring we all knew what we were doing and that the model had clear directions. We started 9am on Monday with settings up, ensuring we had all props and equipment and began filming at just gone 11am. As most of us had never done any filming it was a steep learning curve on how to make things look best. We started doing all the realistic scenes first so there was true continuity between before she falls asleep and once she has woken up. We managed to get all the realistic scenes done by 5pm, we took many takes of different shots to ensure there would be plenty to work with when editing. The day was quite a dark day so we had to use a lot of artificial lighting, unfortunately once me and Siobhan(the director) had look before Thursday at the takes we had done, we realized it came out quite yellow even though we had customized the white balance and we had to re shoot some due to seeing equipment that was not meant to be in shot, this was quite disheartening.

We started filming Thursday at 9am, it was a lot easier this second time as we all knew what we were doing and we seemed a lot more focused. We began with re shooting the shots we needed to that had obstructing equipment in view, this was quite easy to do as we could remember a lot about where the camera was and positions of lights. We then moved on to the dream scene, and as it was a brighter day we didn’t need to use so much artificial lighting, which makes a more natural finish. The shooting of the dream scene was continuous and really helped us all stay motivated and focused, however we found that the model needed even more direction especially during the emotional parts. In addition the director was working even closer with the main camera person to ensure footage was good. We also had decided to use more of the tripod so the camera doesn’t shake too much. We also managed to re shoot the beginning realistic scene to make lighting more natural and not so orange. We all agreed that the wakening up scenes could still be more orange as you see her turn on lights because its suppose to be dusk/early evening time.

In conclusion, I have learnt so much about filming and there was so much to learn that it was a really steep learning curve. I wish we had more time to re shoot a lot to ensure it looks professional as I’m worried that even though we used a lighting kit it will still look amateur. However, to ensure it looks continuous and professional and of high standard we will need to put a lot of time and effort into the editing. We are all meeting to agree on what takes and shoots to use so me and Siobhan, the main editors, can start compiling the footage to make our three minute film.